Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Social Services

One area which I didn't know about when I became a Councillor was social services.
However, the issue of Councillors being 'corporate parents' for the children in looked after care is one of the most important issues but often quieter areas which I think councillors are involved in.

This evening as part of my responsiblity as a councillor on the Education and Scrutiny Committee, I visited one of the Council's 2 homes for young people. I am pleased to say that I found the house and children in good condition and was pleasantly surprised by the attitude of the young people living there.

Fostering is another related area where the Council is always looking for new parents, so if you are interested in being a foster parent you can contact the fostering team by:

phone - 020 8359 6274.
email - fostering@barnet.gov.uk
post - The Fostering Service, 6th Floor,Barnet House,1255 High Road,Whetstone,London, N20 0E

No comments: